Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Tiny Messy Studio

I like to see the artists' studios. I think that an artist's studio gives some insight into their character as well as how they go about painting or doing whatever.  I've seen studios that are spotless and so neatly organized that you might think it's a display in some art store.  And I've seen studios that are so messy that I have to wonder how any of them actually make art.  I lean more towards the latter.

My studio space is small and when I decide I want to change media to do some other project, I have to "put away" my current studio and set up the one for that medium.  So I began to get canvas bags and organizing containers that contain the materials I need for whatever I might be working on.  For example, I have a canvas bag where I keep all of my watercolor supplies and one for all of my pastel supplies.  It's a good thing that I don't work with mixed media or I'd really be out of luck.  Anyway, I thought I'd share some photos of my space so you can perhaps get some insight into me.

Here is how it looks when standing in the entrance to the room.  



This view is from the closet behind my desk which is full of junk.  I have little room between my desk and the closet so trying to position my seat just right takes some energy. 



As you can see I've just set up a small canvas board and stuck it onto an large old palette which is acting as a backing.  My table easel does allow me to have short canvas like this because the top slides down only so far.  I am planning a still life of--what else--pears.  Three, I think, resting on a plain table or perhaps on a table cloth--still learning how to make fabric look good.

Okay.  So this is where I work.  Note, too, that there is no space, really, to set up a still life so I mostly do them from photos, my memory or just my imagination.

Anyway it would be cool to see your studio so if you like send a comment with a link to your blog or photo gallery.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment